Broker Checklist - Real Estate Commission
Download this document.
If you are UPGRADING from an Associate Broker to a Broker, please contact the Real Estate Commission to receive a paper application by e-mail email@example.com or telephone 410-230-6200.
If you have passed the Broker exam and this is your first time becoming a Broker, please follow the instructions below. If you are appling for an Associate Broker license, please go online and apply.
IT COULD TAKE UP TO 14 BUSINESS DAYS FOR YOUR LICENSE TO BE ISSUED.
YOU CANNOT CONDUCT BUSINESS DURING THAT TIME
unless you request an additional license.
If you would like to request an additional license, please send an e-mail request to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before registering your company with the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation, please contact the Maryland Real Estate Commission to verify that the name you would like to register is not close to or already used by another licensee.
- Attach an original credit report that searches public records or you may upload your credit report and supporting document to Maryland Department of Labor eLicensing document upload website. Credit reports should be no older than 6 months.
- Submit escrow account number and name of MARYLAND bank. If you do not accept escrow, simply provide a statement to that effect.
- Please provide a breakdown of the ownership structure of the brokerage. You must list each owner and their ownership percentage.
- If applicable, please submit Articles of Incorporation/Organization and trade name registration APPROVED by the Maryland Department of Assessment & Taxation (410-767-1340). You are acknowledging that per MD §17-101(l)(1-6) you are providing real estate brokerage services.
- If you are operating as a sole proprietor and will not be registering your company name, please enclose a statement to that effect. As a sole proprietor you are acknowledging that per MD §17-101(n) you are providing real estate brokerage services. Also provide how you want your name to read on your license and the address of your company.
- If you are Incorporated/Organized in another state, contact Maryland Department of Assessment and Taxation to register as a foreign company doing business in Maryland.
- If applicable, Franchise Agreement.
- If applicable – If taking over an existing company, please contact the Real Estate Commission for an application.
- If the current broker is downgrading to an associate broker, please call our office to have the appropriate application e-mailed to you first. All applications and payments MUST be received together for proper processing.
- Before submitting your application online, please be sure you have included in your letter the company street address, the percentage of the company you own and the escrow account information as stated above.
Any incomplete application packet will be returned to the applicant and may delay the issuance of your license. Therefore, if you have questions, please call the Maryland Real Estate Commission at 410-230-6200.