State offices will be closed on Monday, May 30, 2016.
Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing
Apply for Certificate - Maryland Board of Certified Interior Designers
There is one category of certification:
Certified Interior Designer
Certification may be obtained by
- Applying for Original Maryland Certification
- Reciprocity, with current certification from another state
The term of certification is two years from the date of
CERTIFICATION VIA NCIDQ EXAM
Qualifications for Certification
To qualify for a certificate, an applicant shall be an individual who meets the requirements of
- The applicant shall be of good character
- The applicant shall be at least 18 years old.
- The applicant shall:
- file an application and pay an application fee
- have satisfied education and experience requirements
necessary to qualify for the
National Council of Interior Design Qualification
Examination (NCIDQ), or its equivalent, as determined
by the Board; and
- have passed the National Council of Interior Design Qualification Examination, or its
- Contact the Board's office to ascertain needed qualifications and to obtain an application
- Pay the application fee online
- Contact NCIDQ and request that a verification of passing the exam be sent to the Board.
- The application, will be reviewed by the Board. If approved you will receive instructions
on how to apply for your original certification.
Requirements for Reciprocity
The Board may waive any examination requirement of this
subtitle for an individual who is licensed or certified
as an interior designer in another state. The Board
may grant a waiver under this section only if the applicant:
- pays the application fee set by the Board under § 8-303 of this subtitle; and
- provides adequate evidence that the applicant:
- meets the qualifications otherwise required by this subtitle; and
- became licensed or certified in the other state after meeting qualifications that are
substantially equivalent to those required for a certificate
in this State (see above).
The Board may grant a waiver under this section only if the state in which the applicant is licensed or certified waives the examination of certified interior designers of this State to a similar extent as this State waives the examination requirements for individuals licensed or certified in that state.
- To apply for certification by reciprocity, an applicant may contact the Board's office for an
application at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pay the reciprocal application fee online
- Contact the Board where you are currently licensed or certified and request that a verification
be sent to the Maryland Board.
- If applicable, have an official transcript send directly from your college or university to the
- The application will be reviewed by the Board. If approved, you will receive instructions
on how to apply for your reciprocal certification.