Taking the Exam - Individual Tax Preparers
Tax preparers who prepare taxes for Marylanders must pass the Maryland Tax Preparers examination in order to qualify for registration and to provide those services. The exam is an open book examination. The examination is based upon information contained in the 2021 Maryland 502 and Federal 1040 instruction booklets. Other components of the exam include:
- Publication 3144, Tips on Tips - A Guide to Tip Income Reporting for Employers in Businesses Where Tip Income is Customary
- Selling Your Home Publication 523
- Topic No. 452 Alimony and Separate Maintenance
- About Publication 974, Premium Tax Credit (PTC) into the exam site to take the exam
You can take the following into the exam site to take the exam:
- 2021 Maryland State and Local Tax Forms and Instruction Booklets
- 2021 IRS Publication 17
- Federal 1040 instructions
Contact PSI Examination Services
PSI Examination Services administers the Maryland tax preparers examination. The PSI website contains information about scheduling, payment and taking the Maryland tax preparers examination. Test takers have the ability schedule to take the exam up to one day before the desired date of examination. PSI will transmit examination scores to the Board to update individual registrants’ records.
Cost of Examination
The cost of the examination is $78.
Passing Score of Examination
The passing score in the examination is 70%
Examination Candidate Bulletin
The Maryland Tax Preparers Examination Candidate Bulletin contains all of the information concerning the content, scheduling of an examination, fees, special accommodations and more.
First time applicants
Individuals filing as for registration for the first time should first file the Maryland application for registration and apply under the examination, 15 year experience or RTPR examination waiver supplement forms to the application.