Important Definitions - Athlete Agents
"Applicability of law" the Maryland Uniform Athlete Agents Act applies only to an athlete agent contract that an athlete agent makes with a local athlete:
- Before the end of the local athlete's last high school or intercollegiate athletic event, including any postseason game; or
- Within 12 months after the end of the local athlete's last high school or intercollegiate athletic event, including any postseason game.
"Local athlete" means an individual who:
- Is or was a member of a sports team of an institution of higher education that is in the state and is part of a national association for the regulation of intercollegiate athletics; or
- Is or was a member of a sports team of a high school in the state.
"Athlete agent" means a person who, for a fee, directly or indirectly tries to get employment for a local athlete with a professional sports team.
"Athlete agent contract" means an agreement under which a local athlete authorizes an athlete agent to:
- Negotiate with one or more professional sports teams to employ the local athlete; or
- Make and carry out investment and other financial decisions or to provide other financial services.