Continuing Education Requirements (Number of Hours and Course Content Required) - Professional Engineers
- A licensee shall complete a minimum of 16 PDH units earned from the participation in and completion of qualified programs described as:
- Technical, research, analytical, or design aspects of engineering;
- Laws and regulations applicable to the practice of engineering in Maryland;
- Engineering-related computer hardware and software topics;
- Standards of practice or care;
- Professional engineering ethics;
- Project management, risk assessment and management, or emergency amd disaster management; or
- Similar topics aimed to maintain, improve, or expand the skills and knowledge relevant to the licensees field of practice.
- A minimum of 1 PDH in each biennial licensing term shall be earned from the participation in the completion of qualifying programs with content related to the following:
- The awareness of ethical concerns and conflicts related to the practice of engineering;
- An enhanced familiarity with the code of conduct for professional engineers;
- An understanding of standards of practice or care related to the practice of engineering; or
- Laws and regulations applicable to the practice of engineering in Maryland.
- A maximum of 8 PDH hours earned in excess of 16 units that are required for a license renewal during the licensing term can be carried forward to apply as credit toward the next individual licensing term.
- Licensees renewing for the first time after receiving their initial license are exempt. Carry forward hours are not permitted on the first renewal cycle.
View the Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR).