Skip to Main Content

Mortgage Loan Originator Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - Financial Regulation


1. Where do I find information about the Mortgage Loan Originator (MLO) license application?
Before applying for the MLO license, you should view the Maryland license description and licensing requirements as well as the "Getting Started: Mortgage Loan Originator" pages NMLS Resource Center.


* For more information regarding SAFE education requirements, visit the NMLS Resource Center > Professional Standards > Education page.

Pre-Licensing Education FAQs

1. What is pre-licensing education (PE)?
The Secure and Fair Enforcement for Mortgage Licensing Act of 2008 (SAFE Act) requires at least 20 hours of NMLS approved pre-licensing education ("PE") to be completed prior to the issuance of a MLO license. This requirement only needs to be completed or certified once, regardless of the number of states in which an originator is licensed. Maryland has required PE for Mortgage Loan Originators (MLOs) which must be satisfied.

2. Prior to applying for a Maryland MLO license, I took 20 hours of SAFE PE in another state, do I have to take SAFE PE again?
No. If you have taken 20 hours of SAFE PE in any state, it satisfies the SAFE PE requirement for all states. However, in addition to the SAFE requirements, you are required to complete 5 hours of Maryland specific education. See COMAR

3. What are the PE requirements for Mortgage Loan Originators in Maryland?
See the Maryland Pre-Licensing Education requirements.

Continuing Education FAQs

1. What is continuing education (CE)?
Continuing Education is the education required to be completed prior to the renewal of the ML, MLO, and AIP-MLO licenses. The SAFE Act requires 8 hours of CE to be completed each year prior to renewal. Please see Maryland's required CE for MLO s for details.

2. What CE requirements will I have after my MLO or AIP-MLO license is approved?
Approved continuing education courses may be found on the NMLS Resource Center. Annually, prior to the renewal of the MLO or AIP-MLO license, you must take 8 hours CE. The CE standards are prescribed by Md. Code Ann., Financial Institutions Sec. 11-612 and the SAFE Mortgage Licensing Act and include:

  1. 3 hours of federal law and regulations;
  2. 2 hours of ethics that shall include instruction on fraud, consumer protection, and fair lending issues;
  3. 2 hours of training related to lending standards for the nontraditional mortgage product market; and
  4. 1 hour of Maryland instruction on mortgage-related laws.

* For more information regarding SAFE education requirements, visit the NMLS Resource Center > Professional Standards > Testing page.

TESTING FAQS - SAFE Mortgage Loan Originator Test FAQs

1. What is the SAFE Mortgage Loan Originator Test?
The SAFE Act requires you to pass both the national and specific state components of the SAFE MLO Test. Maryland uses the Uniform State Test as its state component. See the NMLS Professional Standards Testing page.

2. Is a testing study guide available?
NMLS provides a National Test Content Outline. Other resources are available on the NMLS Professional Standards Testing page.


1. Does Maryland require both a Federal and a State criminal background (CBC) check?
No. Maryland requires only a Federal criminal background check. The Federal criminal background check must be requested via NMLS.

2. How do I request my federal criminal background check?
NMLS has added functionality that allows MLOs and sponsoring companies to authorize, request, and pay for a federal criminal background check within the system. You can access this functionality by logging into your account on NMLS.

Full information concerning federal criminal background check processing can be found on the NMLS Resource Center > Professional Standards > Criminal Background Check page.

3. How do I get a copy of my Federal criminal history record or "rap sheet"?
To request a review of your Federal record search the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), click stats & services, then click background checks.

4. How do I obtain a copy of my court disposition?
In order to obtain a copy of your court disposition you must contact the court that heard your case (i.e. city, county, state, and/ or federal courts).