09.12.43 - Division of Workforce Development and Adult Learning - Final Regulations
FINAL ACTION ON REGULATIONS
MARYLAND REGISTER, VOLUME 44, ISSUE 8,
FRIDAY, APRIL 14, 2017
DEPARTMENT OF LABOR, LICENSING, AND REGULATION
Subtitle 12 MARYLAND APPRENTICESHIP AND TRAINING
09.12.43 Maryland Apprenticeship and Training
Authority: Labor and Employment Article, §11-405, Annotated Code of Maryland
Notice of Final Action
On March 23, 2017, the Maryland Apprenticeship and Training Council, Division of Workforce Development and Adult Learning adopted amendments to Regulations .02 and .05 under COMAR 09.12.43 Maryland Apprenticeship and Training. This action, which was proposed for adoption in 43:26 Md. R. 1453—1454 (December 23, 2016), has been adopted as proposed.
Effective Date: April 24, 2017.
JAMES E. RZEPKOWSKI
Assistant Secretary for Workforce Development and Adult Learning
A. (text unchanged)
B. Terms Defined.
(1) — (4) (text unchanged)
(5) “Competency” means the attainment of manual, mechanical, or technical skills and knowledge as specified by an occupational standard and demonstrated by an appropriate written and hands-on proficiency measurement.
(6) Competency-Based Approach.
(a) “Competency-based approach” means a method to measure skill acquisition through the individual apprentice’s successful demonstration of acquired skills and knowledge, as verified by the program sponsor.
(b) “Competency-based approach” includes requiring an apprentice to complete an on-the-job learning component of registered apprenticeship with the program standards addressing:
(i) How on-the-job learning will be integrated into the program;
(ii) Describing competencies; and
(iii) Identifying an appropriate means of testing and evaluation for such competencies.
[(5)] (7) — [(7)] (9) (text unchanged)
(10) “Hybrid approach” means a method to measure an individual apprentice’s skill acquisition through a combination of a specified minimum number of hours of on-the-job learning and the successful demonstration of competency as described in a work process schedule.
[(8)] (11) — [(17)] (20) (text unchanged)
(21) “Time-based approach” means a method that measures skill acquisition through the individual apprentice’s completion of at least 2,000 hours of on-the-job learning as described in a work process schedule.
.05 Standards of an Apprenticeship Program.
A. — C. (text unchanged)
D. An apprenticeship program shall include the following provisions:
(1) The employment and training of the apprentice in a skilled [trade] occupation;
(2) A term of apprenticeship, [of not less than 2,000 hours, consistent with the training requirements established by industry practice;] which for an individual apprentice:
(a) May be measured through either a time-based approach, a competency-based approach, or a hybrid approach; and
(b) Is determined by the program sponsor, subject to approval by the Division, with the advice of the Council, depending on which approach is appropriate for the apprenticeable occupation for which the program standards are registered;
(3) A work processes outline which:
(a) (text unchanged)
(b) Is an organized syllabus of operations and manual manipulative practices which shall be arranged in a logical manner and assigned sufficient time frames for these practices to equip an apprentice [or trainee] with a comprehensive basic skill development background to qualify for journeyperson or another stated training objective;
(4) — (22) (text unchanged)
E. — L. (text unchanged)