Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing


Apply for Licensure and Reciprocal Licensing Requirements - Maryland Board of Master Electricians


Reciprocal Licensing

Important Notice to Master Electricians in Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia and Delaware

The West Virginia State Fire Marshal and the Maryland Board of Master Electricians have entered into an agreement to waive the written exam for any individual who currently holds a master electrician license issued by either Maryland or West Virginia, which is in good standing, if the individual passed the written licensure exam in obtaining the other State's master electrician license, and is otherwise qualified.

This means that an individual who is licensed by the West Virginia State Fire Marshal may apply to the State Board of Master Electricians without having to take the Maryland written licensure exam, so long as the applicant passed the licensure exam in West Virginia and has held the license for at least 2 years, in good standing.

Individuals holding a license in good standing in Virginia who have passed the written examination in Virginia may apply for licensure in Maryland without taking the Maryland written exam.

Additionally, licensees holding a Delaware license in good standing for at least 5 years who passed the exam in Delaware may also apply for licensure without taking the Maryland written exam.

Each licensing authority will review the applications submitted under this agreement to ensure that applicants are otherwise eligible to obtain a license.

The Board also issues licenses, through reciprocity to individuals, who hold a current master electrician's license in one of the Maryland counties or Baltimore City.

Other Electrical Licenses in Maryland
The State Board of Master Electricians issues only one license, Master Electrician. In Maryland the actual performance license to perform electrical work is issued by each of the local jurisdictions. Many of the local jurisdictions do issue additional categories of electrical licenses. All of these licenses are LESSER than a Master Electrician. For example some jurisdictions may issue a "general electrician", "limited electrician", or "low voltage" license as examples. If an individual were interested in obtaining a lesser license than a master electrician’s license, then it would be necessary to contact the local jurisdiction where you would anticipate working and determine if they offer a lesser license and the qualifications. Not all jurisdictions offer a lesser license. In those jurisdictions that do not, an individual would need a master electrician’s license to perform any electrical work.

Error processing SSI file