Overview of New BEACON One-Stop Application - Unemployment Insurance
The Maryland Department of Labor (Labor) is excited to announce the launch of the BEACON one-stop unemployment insurance application, where all types of claims can be filed entirely online. The BEACON One-Stop will allow claimants to file claims for many unemployment benefit programs through a single application, including those who are eligible for the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) program, the Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) program, and individuals who were previously required to file by phone.
Individuals will be able to use this application to file for:
- Regular Unemployment Insurance Benefits, including for claimants who:
- earned wages in multiple states
- had more than 3 employers over the last 18 month
- Unemployment Compensation for Federal Employees (UCFE)
- Unemployment Compensation for Ex-Service members (UCX)
- Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) for those who are:
- independent contractors;
- gig workers; and,
- lacking sufficient work history to be eligible for regular unemployment insurance benefits.
- Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC)
- those who have exhausted their benefits since July 1, 2019
The BEACON One-Stop application will:
- provide claimants with a single location to receive up-to-date information about their claim and benefit payments
- allow the claimant to upload required supporting documents, forms or other information
- allow the claimant to track their steps in the claim process
- collect the claimant’s preferred payment method and choice of tax withholding
- guide the claimant through the application process and present a dynamic set of questions based on the claimant’s individual circumstances, input, and responses
- intelligently review a claimant’s situation and determine if they meet the requirements of an alternative unemployment insurance program
The BEACON One-Stop application is designed to improve the claimant’s experience and reduce the application processing time, as well as the amount of paper correspondence needed to complete the claim process. Through this one–stop application, Marylanders will be able to file any type of claim, online in a more user-friendly and effective way. It is truly a “one-stop” online service!
If you have questions about this new application, please read our BEACON One-Stop FAQs.
The Division of Unemployment Insurance is proud to offer these new and improved solutions and services to the people of Maryland. To find the latest information and frequently asked questions, please visit our website, MDunemployment.com.