To apply for a review of your qualification for a license as a Secondhand Precious Metal Object
Dealer / Pawnbroker, you must:
- Be eighteen years of age or older.
- Acquire a "fixed business address" in the State of Maryland and a fully executed lease with
that property owner / management company.
- Obtain a Use an Occupancy Permit from the local zoning with jurisdiction over the location of
your business address.
- If your business is located inůMontgomery, Prince Georges, Anne Arundel Counties or Baltimore
City, You must also obtain the local Secondhand Property license that is required by those
For corporations only:
- Provide a copy of the Articles of Incorporation or Organization (if your company is an LLC).
- Obtain a certificate of Good Standing from the Maryland
Department of Assessments and Taxation.
You will be contacted by our office with a date and time to come in for an interview with the
department's inspector. During this interview you will be asked to submit all the above documents
as well as be fingerprinted for a full state & federal Criminal History Record Check at a
cost of $57.25 payable by check or money order only.
Applicants / Licensees must submit the names of every employee who is engaged in or is expected
to engage in secondhand precious metal object or pawn transactions on the part of the
applicant / licensee. These employees must complete and submit to this office a copy of the
Dealer Report of Employee form and submit to a Criminal History Record Check by being fingerprinted.
Report of Employee (Word document, 65KB,
download Word viewer for free)
This can be done by either contacting our office at (410) 230-6271 and request a
fingerprinting appointment or by contacting an agency listed on the
If your application is approved, you will receive a registration number under a separate cover,
which will allow you to complete your license application and pay the appropriate fees on the
The Secondhand Precious Metal Object Dealers and Pawnbrokers unit does not issue reciprocal