Voluntary Protection Program - What is
the Maryland VPP?
The Maryland Voluntary Protection Program (VPP) is a cooperative effort by the Maryland Occupational Safety and Health (MOSH) and participating employers
to extend worker protection beyond the minimum required by MOSH standards. VPP is designed to:
- Recognize the outstanding achievements of participating employers who have successfully incorporated comprehensive safety and health management programs into their total
- Motivate other employers to achieve excellent safety and health performance in the same manner.
- Enable employers to establish a cooperative relationship with MOSH.
What is expected in this cooperative relationship?
- Management commits to operate an effective program that meets an established set of criteria.
- Employees commit to participate in the program and work with management to ensure a safe and healthful workplace.
- MOSH initially verifies that the program meets VPP requirements through both application and onsite review. MOSH then publicly recognizes the site's exemplary program.
- MOSH also evaluates the site to confirm it is continuing to meet VPP requirements every three to five years.
- MOSH will continue to investigate accidents involving death or serious physical harm.
The VPP concept recognizes that the objectives of the Occupational Safety and Health Act can never be fully achieved by enforcement alone. Safety and
health management programs that go beyond OSHA standards can protect workers more effectively.
VPP participants are a select group of employers or facilities that have designed and implemented outstanding safety and health management systems.
What are the benefits of VPP participation?
- Improved employer safety performance.
- Improved employee motivation to work safely and productively.
- Reduced workers' compensation and other injury and illness-related costs.
- Further improvement of already good programs through the internal and external review that is part of the application process and through annual evaluation of employer
- Community and industry recognition.
- Partnership with MOSH.
Recognizing Maryland employers with exemplary safety and health performance.
For further information, contact:
MOSH - VPP Coordinator
Maryland Occupational Safety and Health
10946 Golden West Drive
Hunt Valley, MD 21031